And End to Apathy

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Ashlee
Site Admin

And End to Apathy

Post by Ashlee »

2020 had felt like utter chaos, and Adam’s professional life had only added to the uncertainty. His nose had been to the grindstone for the better part of six months, beginning with a great showing at the Royal Rumble and now culminating in the semi-finals of the King of the Ring tournament. It had not surprised him at all that he would end up facing Randy for his chance to get to that final match. The final match against an unorthodox and unusual opponent, no matter which of the men it might be. He knew that he and Randy would put on one hell of a show, and it had the potential to be even better than the main event. He wondered why on earth EBWF wouldn’t just put them on opposite sides of the bracket. Let them end one of these tournaments with one of the all time greatest matches ever, but it just wasn’t to be. Edge had to wonder if Miz was on to something and the powers that be really did just pull the damn brackets out of a hat. That sounded like the kind of shit booking only Wes Ikeda would agree to. It also meant that he and Randy would have no choice but to steal the show.

The EBWF Roster was building itself into something to be proud of again. New, fresh talent who were stylistically different were breathing new life into the stalwarts of EBWF. Adam felt an energy backstage that had been lacking over the last year. And deep down what Adam wanted was for some of the guys on longer term breaks to return and mix it up with these new guys.

Chris Jericho had been an uncharacteristically quite World Champion, and Adam was left to wonder a bit about what that was about, but he trusted Jericho’s vision. Truth be told, he trusted Wes’ vision too. Going into 20 years as an organization, and EBWF was on top. Against all odds.

Adam couldn’t help but wonder if the plan was for him to go over Randy and get into the final. After all, Randy was already carrying the Gateway Championship, which meant he had an opportunity at the EBWF World Championship whenever he felt like cashing it in. It didn’t seem to make sense to make him a double number one contender, but Adam knew a few things about the wrestling business, the first of which was that stranger things had happened. The second of which was that you should never say never.

The show was in Calgary. It would have been better if it would have been in Toronto, but Calgary was fine. It had such a rich, unyielding wrestling history, that Adam knew anything they did tonight would be appreciated. At the end of the day, that was really all that mattered. He wanted to feel the rush of his entrance. The thrill of a crowd that was eager to see the outcome. All of those amazing things that he delivered like only he could.

Now he found himself backstage at the Scotiabank Saddledome. He was on a set that had been designed to appear intimate for a one on one interview. The lighting was dark. The chairs were comfy, and as he got mic’ed up he awaited the arrival of Renee Young who was being sent to serve as interviewer. A makeup person applied a little powder to his nose to dull some shine from the lights, and Renee came in already prepared in full hair and makeup. She shook Adam’s hand, and he greeted her warmly, before she asked the production team if they were ready to get started. In moments, the red light was on, and they were rolling.

Renee Young: Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my guest tonight, The Rated R Superstar, Edge. Edge, thank you for joining me.

Edge: Thank you for having me, Renee.

Renee Young: Here we are again.

Edge: Yes, another interview with Renee Young. Another final four in King of the Ring. It’s a bit like the movie Groundhog Day year after year.

He smirked slightly.

Renee Young: How are you feeling about the tournament tonight?

Edge: Nostalgic, I think.

Renee gave him a surprised look.

Edge: Does that not make sense? I’ve been here so many times before. I’ve been great at this so many times before.

She nodded and let him continue.

Edge: There probably isn’t a question you could ask me that would surprise me. That’s not a slight on you. That’s just how many times I’ve been in this position.

Renee Young: But you’ve never won.

Edge: I never have. With the exception of the 2011 Royal Rumble these tournaments always seem to allude me.

Renee Young: That win did result in you capturing the title at Wrestlemania.

Edge: It did, but that was 9 years ago. I’m concerned with today, because running down my resume doesn’t get me a whole hell of a lot right now.

Renee nodded in understanding.

Renee Young: So tonight, in the semi-final, you take on your tag team partner, the co-champion, Randy Orton.

It was Edge’s turn to nod.

Edge: Seems like an annual tradition doesn’t it?

He smiled.

Edge: Here’s what I know is going to happen on the other side. Damian Priest and The Rock are going to try to sow seeds of division in Rated RKO and who could blame them really? Most mere mortal men would crumble under the pressure. Under the desire to be EBWF World Champion. Most men would do anything to face Chris Jericho at Summerslam. The beauty of Rated RKO, of me and Randy, is that we aren’t mere mortal men. We are legendary. We are wrestlers whose names will echo through the history of EBWF, of this industry, long, long, long after we’re gone. As such, our interests, our goal here becomes about the art of wrestling. We would both like to win. We know, however, that when it comes to facing each other, it just depends on who is having the better night. It could be either of us. And because we’re Rated RKO, we end up being okay with that.

Renee leaned forward a little as he spoke.

Edge: People spend a lot of time trying to get us to speak poorly of one another, or to be at each other’s throats. Especially in these types of situations, but to us, it’s really just about going out there and putting on a good match. The winner will be whoever can get the upper hand tonight, and it’s an any given Sunday situation. I think tonight it will be me, but I don’t begrudge the EBWF Universe for considering that it might be Randy.

Renee Young: There isn’t a part of you that thinks you deserve this? After all, Randy is already Gateway Champion. He can have a shot at Chris Jericho whenever he wants.

Edge: There it is. There’s the division I mentioned. Randy Orton is the Gateway Champion, but don’t get it twisted, Renee. Randy has a guaranteed shot at the EBWF World Championship. This isn’t about Chris Jericho. Me, Randy… we could face Chris Jericho whenever we wanted. Title or none. The goal here is the gold, especially in terms of this tournament.

Renee Young: Do you think you could defeat Chris Jericho at Summerslam?

Edge: Strange enigma, Chris Jericho, isn’t he? Really uncharacteristic of him to be so silent. It’s almost like he’s afraid. Almost like he’s purposely trying to stay out of the limelight, to get the bullseye off his back. Makes you wonder what’s changed, doesn’t it? Maybe he’s not as good as he once was. Maybe he’s nursing some injuries he’s trying to keep quiet. If I get him at Summerslam, I think I can expose all of that.

Renee Young: By the time Summerslam arrives it will be nearly three years since you’ve been EBWF Champion. Do you think you can handle that pressure?

Edge: And even that reign in 2017 was very short lived, wasn’t it? I was made for that pressure. Born for it. That kind of pressure is all I’ve ever wanted. I beat the unbeatable, look it up. John Cena in 2011. PJ Black in 2017. The thought of ending Chris Jericho’s historic championship reign is just the kind of pressure I need to actually get the job done.

Renee Young: Tonight, in the second match of the evening, you’ve defeated your tag team partner, Randy Orton, and you are in the main event. The finals of the EBWF King of the Ring Tournament, and standing across the ring from you is either Damian Priest or The Rock. Your thoughts?

He could help but chuckle to himself.

Edge: It’s funny how you have two complete, opposite ends of the spectrum. Edge versus Orton, oh yeah, that’s a match. That’s the match I paid to see. That I expect to see on the bracket. And then over here in the other semi-final. Rock versus Priest in a… wait, how the hell did we get here… how the hell did this happen match. You look all up and down the left side of the bracket, and you see the names. AJ Styles, big surprise, got his one off appearance paycheck, shit the bed, and went home. Havoc got embarrassed so bad, I heard he probably won’t even be back. Tommaso Ciampa shows glimpses of greatness, and can’t ever win when it matters, and that left the door wide open for Damian Priest to win the fight of his life against Tomohiro Ishii. The Rock versus Damian Priest. This thing might be a little easier to call if Randy and I were on opposite sides of the bracket.

Renee Young: Are you saying neither of those men deserve to be in the final?

Edge: I’m saying neither of those men can beat me or Randy Orton. I’m saying the fight tonight is between me and Randy, and one of us is leaving King of the Ring. I mean, let’s look at Damian Priest for a minute. Some weird mix between The Crow and Twilight. Okay. Let’s say I can get behind that. The kid is obviously strong. The kid is obviously somewhat talented…

Renee Young: Damian Priest is 38 years old. He’s hardly a kid.

Edge: He’s still the youngest guy in this match.

Renee Young: Noted.

Edge: He needs a little help on the mic, but okay, check out some promos from The Brood, I’m a testament that it all comes in time. I don’t know if Damian respects me. I don’t know if he’ll come out here and call me old, and say it’s his time. I don’t know any of that, and as a matter of fact, I’m not interested in any of that. I’m interested in all the things that Damian Priest is not. He’s not the man to lead this locker room. He’s not the man to be the face of this company. He sure as shit isn’t the man who is going to beat Chris Jericho for the EBWF World Championship. I’m not even sure he can beat The Rock tonight. It’s not that I don’t think Damian Priest is talented. He is. This is just a lot of pressure. Too much pressure for a kid with limited knowledge of the business, EBWF and the politics within it.

Renee Young: Isn’t winning the King of the Ring a crash course in learning those things?

Edge smirked.

Edge: Do you think our viewing audience really has the patience for that? The patience for Damian Priest to be learning on the job? I’m going to guess that they don’t. He’s just not interesting enough for all that. Do I think he could be a developed talent? Sure. Do I think maybe someday? Absolutely. It’s not tonight. It’s not the King of the Ring tournament. I wish Damian Priest well. I want him to do well in EBWF. I also think he should pay his dues and maybe start with the Breakout Championship. It’s a long corporate ladder, and I think he ought to start at the bottom.

Renee Young: And you don’t feel the same about The Rock?

Edge: Well the Rock… that’s a little different isn’t it? People call me a part-timer. Rock takes it to another level. Rock is a bonafide superstar. Rock can pick up the reigns anytime he wants. He could saunter in here, pick up some wins, maybe even become world champion. The ratings will get a big pop. Rock will get a big pop. The fans are happy. And somehow the Rock stalls all the momentum of everyone who works here night in and night out, damages the expectations of the audience, buries some careers along the way and then fucks right off to Hollywood to film Fast and Furious 229.

Renee chewed on her bottom lip at this sudden passion from Edge.

Edge: Would a win for the Rock be a boon in the ratings for EBWF for a couple of months? Sure. Would Rock versus Chris Jericho bring the house down at Summerslam? Absolutely. Do we still have Chris Jericho as Champion when the lights go up for Fanniversary? Probably. And I can assure you that Chris Jericho is the only person who wants that.

Renee Young: So you acknowledge that The Rock is a huge superstar, but you question… what?

Edge: His motives for being here right now. What’s in it for him?

Renee Young: Wrestling is in his blood. Perhaps he was just eager to make a return.

Edge: Funny that you would say that, because wrestling is also in Randy Orton’s blood and he doesn’t see the need to leave like Rock does. He doesn’t see the need to spend twenty years becoming the highest paid actor in Hollywood. If the Rock wants his moment to shine, to be on top of the mountain, he needs to stay here grinding like everyone else.

Renee Young: So you hold it against the Rock that he’s successful in other areas?

Edge: No, not at all. I don’t hold that against him. I just don’t think he should be able to dabble in all of it. Not when too many of us work so hard. Not when the fans deserve more and better. Is it that hard to be The Rock? You can be gone for years and then you get to just waltz in here with the same old catch phrases. Same old hand gestures and wild gesticulations. Same old Rock. Stays gone for so long he isn’t even forced to evolve. He can come in and do the same old schtick, and he thinks he’s going to be rewarded with a shot at the championship? No, that’s quite enough of you, Rock. It’s not cute. It’s not funny. And honestly, Renee? He should be ashamed of himself for being so banal and entitled and taking someone else’s spot. I hear Darby Allin is here now. Maybe he could have had a spot in the tournament. The Rock beat Matt Riddle, a whole original bro! Where’s he been?

Renee Young: You did say you were feeling nostalgic.

Edge: Yeah, for all the times I’ve been in this position before, not for the good ole days of the Attitude Era! The Rock was on EBWF’s very first show. With Chris Jericho, go figure. I don’t think Wes Ikeda’s goal here is to set us back 19 years. We don’t have to worry about any of that though, because as I stated, it’s me or Orton tonight. Priest isn’t ready, and Rock is washed up. It’s the first match of the night, and it should be. I can’t imagine the type of chemistry they’re going to have. They both have the grace and agility of a literal Rock and a Priest.

Renee chuckled slightly.

Edge: Rock if it’s you… Priest if it’s you… in the word’s of the Great One, it doesn’t matter. Any hopes for a long-term return for you, Dwayne… any dreams of meteoric ascension to the top of the EBWF mountain for you, Damian… they’re all dashed here tonight. I’m taking control of my destiny. I’m punching my ticket to Summerslam. I’m staking my claim to the EBWF championship. Even if I have to beat Randy Orton to do it.

Renee Young: So, the Edge redemption story begins tonight?

Edge: The Edge redemption story started at the Royal Rumble where I was this close to going to Wrestlemania, and it made me want that gold around my waist again.

Renee Young: And be a double champion this summer?

Edge: Obviously, and the internet can call me Edge Two Belts, or Edge Dos Straps, or Edge Champ Champ. They can call me anything they like, but what they won’t be able to deny is that I am still the most formidable, most opportunistic, most prepared member of this roster. I can still do anything I set my mind to. I can overcome it all. I can do it all. And the only reason that strap sits on Jericho’s shoulder… the only reason anyone is allowed to achieve the heights they do here in EBWF is because I let them. Because I enjoy getting paid to have fun goofing off with my friend and wrestling some matches. Every win they achieve is because of my apathy.

Renee Young: And you’re saying that’s over?

Edge: It’s over, and I’m going to prove it tonight. Thanks, Renee.

Edge reached up and removed the microphone from his shirt, and stood up. He walked out of the frame, leaving Renee staring after him as the scene faded to black.
Writers aren't exactly people. They're a whole bunch of people. Trying to be one person.
The only living, breathing, Queen of Efeds in captivity
"You can't blame a writer for what the characters say." - Truman Capote