Spotlight

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Ben M

Spotlight

Post by Ben M »

OOC: Good luck DJ!

Monday, August 24, 2020: Warfare, Phoenix, Arizona

A few moments after Warfare went off the air, Chris Jericho began to stir. Groaning, he got to his feet and grabbed the World Title, which still had The Rock's finger prints. Shaking his head in disgust, Jericho looked across at Jake Hager, who was still out cold. Jericho tried to revive him, and when he was able to do so, he helped Hager to his feet. Hager was still woozy, and he stumbled from side to side as Jericho helped him backstage. The camera crew followed Jericho and Hager to the back, and as soon as they walked through the curtain, a medic rushed towards them.

Medic: Have a seat, Jake.

As Hager slumped into a chair, the referee began checking over him.

Chris Jericho: Is he okay?

Medic: I'm not sure, he might be concussed.

Jake Hager: Zeb, is that you?

Chris Jericho: He's definitely concussed.

The medic nodded.

Medic: Looks that way. We'll take him to a local medical facility, run some more tests.

Chris Jericho: Will he be okay for Summerslam?

Medic: Until we've done some more tests, I can’t say for sure... but if it is a concussion, my advice would be that Mr Hager does not attend Summerslam.

Jericho sighed, then turned to face the camera.

Chris Jericho: Are you happy, Dwayne? This is all your fault! But let me make one thing clear... it doesn't matter whether or not Hager is at Summerslam. I'm still going to beat you.

Jericho held his World Title up to the camera.

Chris Jericho: I hope you enjoyed your little "celebration" just now, because I promise you, it's the last time you'll ever get your hands on my title. I am Le Champion... you're just another contender.

Jericho walked away from the camera and followed Hager as the scene faded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, August 30, 2020: Summerslam, Los Angeles, California

The scene opened backstage at the Staples Center, in Chris Jericho's locker room. Jericho was pacing back and forth nervously. He hadn't heard from Jake Hager since leaving Arizona on Tuesday morning, and he had no idea whether or not his right hand man would be attending Summerslam. Jericho had called Hager several times, but hadn't been able to get hold of him, so he wasn't feeling hopeful. However, he decided to try calling him one last time. He picked up his phone and called Hager, but once again, all he got was Hager's voicemail. Sighing, Jericho took a seat and tried to focus on his match. A few minutes later, there was a knock on his door. Could it be?

Chris Jericho: Come in!

Jericho got to his feet, hoping to see Hager walk through the door... then let out a sigh when Michael Cole entered with a cameraman.

Michael Cole: Hi Chris, how are you?

Chris Jericho: Bitterly disappointed, Michael.

Michael Cole: Why?

Jericho rolled his eyes, declining to answer Michael's question.

Chris Jericho: What do you want?

Michael Cole: Well Chris, I was hoping to get an interview with you before your match tonight. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

Jericho walked towards Cole, getting in his face.

Chris Jericho: Actually Michael, I do mind. I've been sat here in my locker room, trying to clear my head and mentally prepare for one of the biggest matches of my career. If I want to speak, I'll do it on my own time. Not for an interview, and certainly not with you. If it was Renee Young or Cathy Kelley, I'd consider it, but if you haven’t already realised Michael... I can't stand you. If it were up to me, you would have been fired years ago. The only reason I even let you in my locker room was because I was hoping you were someone else.

As if to prove how dumb he was, Cole ignored Jericho's insults and simply asked a follow up question.

Michael Cole: Who were you hoping for, Chris?

Me, obviously.

Cole and the cameraman turned around. Stood in the hallway, albeit with a bandaged forehead was indeed the man Jericho had been hoping to see... Jake Hager.

Chris Jericho: Jake! Are you okay?

Hager smirked.

Jake Hager: I've been better... my head is killing me. Not because of what happened on Warfare, just because I'd forgotten how annoying Michael Cole's voice is. Like nails on a chalkboard, am I right?

Jericho laughed and nodded.

Chris Jericho: One hundred percent. Come in Jake, we've got some catching up to do. Michael, you can show yourself out.

Now it was Michael Cole's turn to be disappointed, and he reluctantly left the locker room. The cameraman stayed, although neither Jericho nor Hager acknowledged him (it's the fourth wall! Consider it this scene a YouTube exclusive, or TikTok since that's what all the cool kids are using these days... whatever happened to Tout?!)

Chris Jericho: Listen Jake, before you say anything, there is something I need to say to you first. I am so, so sorry about what happened on Warfare. I feel like such an idiot! I can't believe I hit you with that champagne bottle... obviously it was an accident, but I feel terrible. I tried calling you, did you get my messages?

Jake Hager: I did.

Chris Jericho: And? Do you accept my apology?

Jake Hager: I don't... because it wasn't even necessary in the first place.

Hager smiled, and patted Jericho on the shoulder.

Jake Hager: I know it was an accident... these things happen. I don't blame you for it. There's only one person I blame, and I know you blame him too.

Jericho and Hager then spoke in unison.

Chris Jericho: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson!
Jake Hager: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson!

Clearly relieved, Jericho gave Hager a brief hug.

Chris Jericho: Thank God. I hate to admit it... but The Rock is smarter than we gave him credit for. I think he was playing possum on Warfare, luring me in, practically begging me to hit him with that champagne bottle... all so he could make sure I hit you instead. He didn't want you to be here tonight Jake, and certainly not in my corner. And do you know why?

Hager nodded.

Jake Hager: Because he's afraid of me.

Chris Jericho: He's afraid of us, Jake, and who can blame him? Between us, we have the potential to be the most dominant force the EBWF has ever seen. You're a legitimate fighter who could beat up anyone on the roster, maybe even me. And I... well, I'm the best in the world at what I do. I'm the guy who has outsmarted, outfought and outlasted every other EBWF superstar. Together, we're unstoppable, and The Rock knows that. He's going to be so disappointed when he sees you tonight... so let's keep it a surprise. Did anyone see you on your way here? Besides Michael Cole, obviously.

Hager shrugged, then shook his head.

Jake Hager: I don't think so. No EBWF superstars, anyway. I passed a couple of crew members on the way in but that's about it.

Jericho grinned.

Chris Jericho: Excellent. Well if you stay in here until the main event, then that means The Rock won't see you until you accompany me to the ring. We'll get in his head, which will help me. Sound good?

Jake Hager: Are you sure you don't want me to pay him a surprise visit before the match?

Hager made a fist with his right hand and held it with his left hand, as if to signal his intentions to Jericho. Jericho shook his head.

Chris Jericho: Not tonight... otherwise you'll probably get fined or suspended, and the match might end up getting postponed. No Jake, despite one or two unexpected hiccups on the road to Summerslam, you've served your purpose. I wanted you to help me wear Dwayne down, physically and mentally. We've done that, even if he won't see it that way. Having you in my corner tonight, you making your presence known at ringside... as someone who has been in this business for thirty years, I can guarantee that will be an unwanted distraction for The Rock. And believe me when I tell you, that will do more for me than having you beat him up again. I'm walking out of Summerslam the way I walked in, as Le Champion. I'm going to make sure of it.

Jake Hager: I have every faith in you, Chris. And when you do beat The Rock, you know how we're going to celebrate don’t you?

Hager pulled a bottle of champagne out of his bag, and the two men spoke in unison once more.

Chris Jericho: A little bit of the bubbly!
Jake Hager: A little bit of the bubbly!

Jericho hugged Hager again, and the two men continued talking as the scene faded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night...

Summerslam 2020 was just about to get underway when the lights inside the Staples Center went out. The fans in the arena cheered in anticipation, expecting the show to start, but instead a spotlight lit up the center of the ring. From the darkness, a figure walked into the spotlight. Only the shadow of the figure could be seen, then the lights went out again. This time, flashing lights could be seen from inside the ring... the man standing in the ring was wearing a very expensive, very flashy (no pun intended) light up jacket. The spotlight came back on, and the camera zoomed in to reveal the EBWF World Champion, Chris Jericho. Jericho had the World Title around his waist, and a microphone in his hand.

Chris Jericho: The spotlight. It's something that can be... addictive. I should know, because the spotlight has been on me for almost my entire career. You see, in the wrestling business, at any given moment, the spotlight only shines on a few individuals. Some of those individuals will only stay in the spotlight for a brief time – they get their "fifteen minutes of fame", so to speak. There are other superstars who will see the spotlight fade away from them, but they find a way to get back into the spotlight... for those superstars, the spotlight comes and goes. And of course, there are a lot of professional wrestlers who never see the spotlight shine on them, no matter how hard they try. But whichever one of those three categories you fall into, you're motivated by the same desire. You want to be in the spotlight. Because the spotlight means fame, money, fortune... the spotlight opens new doors, provides new opportunities. Wrestlers strive to be in the spotlight, and before they're in the spotlight, they think one of two things. Either they thing that one run in the spotlight will be enough, or they think they're so good that once the spotlight is shining on them, it will continue to shine on them for the rest of their career. Those superstars are wrong, of course – even a world class professional wrestler like yours truly has spent time out of the spotlight. But the simple fact of the matter is this... once you've had a taste of the spotlight, it only makes you hungrier for more. Which is why at almost fifty years of age, after nineteen plus years of being a part of EBWF, I am still here. World Champion for the eleventh time, setting a record that will surely never be broken. There are younger superstars, there are fitter superstars, there are tougher superstars... but I am still on top because I have a desire that will never burn out, and that is enough for me to keep on fighting through it all. Of course, it helps that I am the best in the world, and smarter than everyone else on the roster too.

Jericho smirked, then continued speaking.

Chris Jericho: I'll be honest with you Los Angeles, I am addicted to the spotlight. I'm addicted to being EBWF's top guy. Winning the Royal Rumble in January was as exciting for me as it was when I won it ten years ago, winning the World Title for the eleventh time meant as much to me as it did when I won my first EBWF World Championship back in 2004. I don't wrestle for any of you, I don't do it for my family or anyone else. I do it for me. I do it because I love professional wrestling, and I want to leave a legacy behind that means I'll be remembered as one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, maybe even the greatest. Has wrestling made me rich? You're damn right it has. But that's not why I do it. I loved wrestling when I was barely making enough money to pay for gas, and I love it just as much now. Is wrestling the only thing I love? Absolutely not. My family will always be the most important thing in my life, although wrestling is a close second. I also love music... when I was in high school, I said I wanted to be a wrestler and a rockstar, and I've been able to do both. People laughed at me then, and people were laughing at me when I released my first album with Fozzy. People told me that Fozzy was nothing more than a side project, and that we'd never be taken seriously with a wrestler as the frontman. Yet here I am now, seven albums later, I've toured the world and sold millions of records. The official video for Judas has over 42 million views on YouTube. I've had success in the music industry while continuing to achieve success in pro wrestling. No one else can say they've accomplished that.

Jericho paused for a moment, then continued.

Chris Jericho: I know what you're thinking... "you're amazing Chris, but can you get to the point already?" You're right, I am amazing, and the point is this – I have always been honest about the fact that I love wrestling, I love music, and that I wanted to do both. There have been times when I've put my wrestling career on hold to focus on Fozzy, and there have been times when I've put my music career on hold to focus on wrestling, but for the most part, I've dedicated myself to both wrestling and music, along with a few side projects, such as my highlight successful podcast series Talk is Jericho. And that's why it makes me angry when I hear The Rock claim that he has always loved wrestling, and pretend it's the most important thing in his life. Sure, he grew up in the wrestling business – he's a third generation superstar. But instead of following in his grandfather and his father's footsteps, when Dwayne Johnson went to college, he wanted to play football. He couldn't make it in the NFL, so he went to the Canadian Football League instead. I'm from Canada, and even I know the Canadian Football League sucks! It was only after he was cut from the Calgary Stampeders that he decided to go into wrestling. And it was so easy for him... because of his family connections, he got straight into the big leagues. Let me ask you a question, Los Angeles... do you remember the name Rocky Maivia? Because I do. Rocky got a push he didn't deserve, which led to the fans rejecting him. The locker room hated him too. Now credit where credit is due, Dwayne. You repackaged yourself as The Rock, and you became a huge star. By the late nineties, the spotlight was undoubtedly on you. You became a household name. I'm not supposed to talk about it now, and I have to be careful so we don't get sued, but in 1999 when I debuted as Y2J, I decided I had to call out the biggest name on the roster. That was you. I wanted to take your place in the spotlight, and I was good enough to do it, but I wasn't one of Vince's favourites, so I decided to take a chance on myself and signed for EBWF. The rest, as they say, is history. I left Connecticut because it was clear that The Rock was going to be the number one guy there for years to come. So imagine my surprise when a few years later, you let your contract run out so you could pursue a full-time acting career. You got a taste of a different success Dwayne, right here in Hollywood. The spotlight was on you when you became The Scorpion King, and after that being a wrestler just didn't seem to matter. For eighteen years, you have been focused on your acting career, taking any role you were offered from Hercules to the Tooth Fairy, and now you expect us to believe that professional wrestling is your number one passion? If you'll pardon my French, c'est putain de conneries, Dwayne. Or as they say in English... that's fucking bullshit!

There was an "oooh" from the crowd at Jericho's language, which seemed to amuse him.

Chris Jericho: Isn't it funny how, in the midst of a global pandemic, when Hollywood more or less shut up shop, that you suddenly decided you wanted to be a full-time wrestler again? It's kind of a coincidence, don't you think? But you see Dwayne, I understand your reasoning. Maybe I understand it better than you do. It's about the spotlight. You see, the lights were out in Hollywood... there was no spotlight to step into. But for some reason, Wes still likes you, that's why he's had you under contract for so long. There was another spotlight up for grabs, so suddenly the Scorpion King decided he wanted to become King of the Ring. Again Dwayne, credit where credit is due. You normally go out of the King of the Ring tournament in the first round, but you pushed yourself and won it. You beat AJ Styles, Matt Riddle, Jimmy Havoc, Damian Priest and Edge... three former World Champions and a couple of jobbers, nice work. You earned yourself a crown, and a main event match at Summerslam, arguably the second biggest pay-per-view of the year. Nice work. You saw me standing in the spotlight, and maybe you even remembered me as the cocky loudmouth who interrupted you all those years ago. You decided you wanted to take my place in the spotlight. You decided you wanted to add EBWF World Champion onto your resume. Completely understandable – it's one of the most prestigious championships in the world of professional wrestling, made even more prestigious by being around my waist. So I can completely understand why you want my title, Dwayne. You've probably spent the last couple of months dreaming about it, and then on Warfare when you held the title for the first time, you must have thought all your dreams had come true. But while we may be in Los Angeles, this isn't Hollywood. There will be no fairytale ending for you. I may not have Jake Hager in my corner after what happened on Monday night, but I don't need him to beat you. I've got everything I need in here.

Jericho pointed to his chest – more specifically, to his heart – then to his head.

Chris Jericho: Dwayne, you might think your heart is in the wrestling business, but I know that when your agent finds the right movie role for you, you won't be able to turn it down. That's the spotlight you really want, and if you think otherwise you aren't just lying to the EBWF fans, you're lying to yourself. This spotlight – my spotlight - is just a temporary distraction for you, like a summer fling when your girlfriend suggests you go on a break. And so, while you'll fight to take my title, I'll be fighting tooth and nail to keep it. In the end, it's going to come down to who wants it more. You might be the King... but I'm the champion. Tonight Dwayne, it's going to be lights out for you.

Right on cue, the spotlight went off. When the arena lights came back on, Jericho was nowhere to be seen.