Live Forever

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Cory

Live Forever

Post by Cory »

Renee was backstage during the Last Survivor kick-off program, and the camera followed her as she made her way to one of the locker rooms.

Renee Young: I understand that Damian Priest and his manager Paul Heyman have arrived and are preparing for what could be the most important title defense in Priest's career. I'm going to see if I can talk to them.

Renee knocked on the door of the locker room, waiting patiently with the microphone held in both hands. The door opened and Paul Heyman emerged, narrowing his eyes at the veteran reporter of EBWF.

Paul Heyman: Well if it isn't EBWF's premier wrestling journalist. All disrespect intended to Michael Cole.

Paul gave her a toothy grin as he folded his arms in front of him.

Paul Heyman: How may I help you?

Renee Young: I was hoping to get a few words from you and Damian about the EBWF World Championship match tonight between your client and the number one contender, Adam Cole.

Paul Heyman: ...A few words, you say?

Renee shifted uncomfortably and nodded, keeping the microphone trained on Paul.

Paul Heyman: I'm happy to provide that to you, Renee. Here are precisely the two you need.

Paul leaned in closer to the microphone, his menacing gaze trained on Renee.

Paul Heyman: ...And...still.

Paul turned to walk away, and in a brazen move, Renee grabbed his arm.

Renee Young: Mr. Heyman, Mr. Heyman. Surely you have a few more than that about what should be Damian Priest's most important title defense since he became EBWF World Champion?

Paul looked down at his arm, his eyes wide. He was offended that she even dared to touch him. Her hand slowly withdrew and he stared at her for a moment before finally speaking.

Paul Heyman: EVERY title defense is Damian Priest's most important title defense, Renee. The man is undefeated in EBWF. He hasn't lost. The pressure on him is unbelievable. But that's where my client tends to do his best work. Now I know that you couldn't possibly understand this, but...

Renee rolled her eyes as Paul leered at her.

Paul Heyman: ...Damian Priest has wrestled a full career under high pressure situations. He's a man that was never taken seriously on the independent scene. Never fully utilized to the best of his ability. Relegated to OBSCURITY on one of the other prime time wrestling programs, and never given the chance that I managed to secure for him. And look at him now. He's THE guy in the most important, most influential wrestling organization to ever exist on this Earth. He is the reigning. Defending. Undisputed. Undefeated. EBWF World Champion. And he has been a buzzsaw to this division. It has gotten to a point where, quite frankly, Adam Cole is all that's left. That's why my client gave Adam an impassioned plea to Mr. Cole to not go up in smoke like everyone else my client has faced and defeated. And that's where...I must begrudgingly offer respect to Adam Cole.

Paul used air quotes during the word 'respect'.

Paul Heyman: I remember when Adam Cole was defeated by my client during the King of the Ring tournament. It was a bitter loss for an otherwise wildly successful athlete. But what happened to Adam? He put his nose to the grindstone and he hustled. And he worked his way to this opportunity. An opportunity to headline Last Survivor. Not every person gets that chance. So in that respect, I applaud Mr. Cole for his tenacity. But that's where the respect ends, and the questions begin. Why cash in your hard earned Gateway Championship now? Why hand over a very prestigious championship title for the opportunity to step in front of a freight train? It's never going to--

Paul stopped as the locker room door opened up again and Damian Priest walked out, towering over his manager. He had a Live Forever t-shirt on and jeans, with his EBWF World Championship over his shoulder.

Damian Priest: Whassup, Paulie, you didn't think to invite me?

Heyman inaudibly stuttered as he stared at Priest.

Paul Heyman: I...I... thought I might take care of this one for you, champ. Renee was... just leaving.

Renee smirked and arched her eyebrow.

Renee Young: Actually, I would love to get a few words from you about your title defense, if I could?

Priest smirked, slightly adjusting the title belt draped over his shoulder.

Damian Priest: Hey, that's what I'm getting paid the big bucks for, right?

Renee Young: Damian, this is shaping up to be a very consequential title defense for you. It's the first time the Gateway Champion has cashed in during your reign, and it's a rematch of one of your matches in the King of the Ring tournament.

Damian's eyes widened slightly.

Damian Priest: Wait, for real? That's...shit I totally forgot. So you mean to tell me I've faced Adam Cole before? And he's still here?

Renee just nodded.

Damian Priest: Well, props to him I guess.

Paul Heyman: I was just saying that.

Renee Young: Well he has had a long road to get to this point. Taking on talent from other promotions, accepting open challenges...

Damian Priest: Yeah, I get that. He talked about his little Rogues Gallery of dudes he's faced. Zack Sabre Jr, Samoa Joe, Chris Jericho, Will Ospreay. Yeah, it's impressive, I guess.

Renee Young: What do you think about the idea that Adam Cole has faced more adversity in his Gateway Championship reign than you have in your World Championship reign?

Damian Priest: Yeah, I mean I can't help but feel a little bit responsible for that.

Renee tilted her head quizzically, not sure what he meant.

Damian Priest: Look at what I've done, Renee. I've bodied every single opponent that's come my way, and the matches haven't been particularly close, either. I'm undefeated, I'm the best in the business, and I'm at my absolute prime. The Zack Sabre Jrs and the Will Ospreays of the world? Yeah, of course they're gonna bump themselves down a tier and go after Adam Cole. They don't want to piss away possibly their only shot at EBWF gold by facing me. It'd be a bloodbath, and they're not stupid. So they go after Adam Cole. Makes sense to me.

Paul Heyman: Think about it this way, Renee. Adam Cole's accomplishments should not be ignored, nor should he be denied his flowers for taking on such a wide array of opponents. Adam is right when he says that all of that time has led to THIS moment. But it would be absolutely foolish to sleep on what Damian Priest has accomplished. It was naive of Adam Cole to say that fighting the same wrestler twice is like taking a test you know the answers to, when the opposite is true. An opponent on his second shot can adjust his game, watch the tape, make changes to his approach in the ring. All of which in order to get the upper hand on their opponent on the second try. It's hard to adjust your game when you won. So I would argue that my client's second match with Seth Rollins and The Miz were even MORE difficult than his first. And that's why I know my client was joking earlier when he said he forgot about his first match with Adam Cole, right Damian?

Damian Priest: Alright alright. Yeah, you got me. Truth is, I know that match like the back of my hand. Cause I know Adam's going to do the same. I know he's gonna check out all the angles, see where the weaknesses in his game were that night, and he's going to make adjustments. But guess what? So am I.

Damian looked into the camera.

Damian Priest: Don't worry, Adam. I didn't overlook you. I've spent the last week chewing tape. Analyzing. Planning. I'm gonna make sure I know what you're gonna do before you do. That's how you stay on top, that's how you handle pressure. Win or lose, I put in the work. That's why I'm here to promise you that if, by some miracle, I slip on a banana peel and you pin me and become the EBWF World Champion, I will stand up and shake your hand. But you may as well sit down and daydream about that happening, because't not gonna happen in real life. I'm not complacent, I'm just getting started. I'm not arrogant, I'm just realistic.

Heyman looked up at his client like a proud papa. Renee pointed the microphone at him and he shook his head with delight.

Paul Heyman: It's so gratifying to see your clients grow into the terrifying monsters that you know they're capable of being. Brock Lesnar did that. Bray Wyatt did that.

Damian lowered his head and did the sign of the cross in the background at the mention of Wyatt's name.

Paul Heyman: And without a doubt in my mind, Damian Priest has become my greatest achievement as a manager.

Renee Young: That's...quite the claim, Paul.

Paul Heyman: It is, and I know that I have quite the penchant for hyperbole, my dear. But I 100% believe it in my soul. I have been doing this for a long time. Sometimes people come to me because they need a mouthpiece. They've got the chops in the ring, but they need someone to market them. Sometimes people come to me because they're egomaniacs and they feel like they're above engagements with the press and the fans. With Damian... this is a partnership.

Paul interlaced his fingers together.

Paul Heyman: To quote a famous man from Mr. Ikeda's home town, Damian only needed one shot. One opportunity. And I was the one to make it happen. I simply opened the door a crack. Damian kicked the door off the damn hinges. And tonight, Adam Cole is not going to be the one to shut the door on Damian Priest's time. He will not be the one to end the undefeated streak, or walk away with the Championship. What he will walk away with is the beating of his life, a healthy newfound respect for his opponent, and a splitting headache. And that's not a prediction, dear Renee...

Paul leaned in, his menacing grin giving Renee the creeps.

Paul Heyman: That's a spoiler.

Paul Heyman disappeared back into Priest's locker room. Damian gave Renee a fist bump.

Damian Priest: Vivir para siempre.

Priest went back into the locker room, closing the door as Renee wrapped up and the scene faded to black.