Feedback Guide

Ashlee
Site Admin

Feedback Guide

Post by Ashlee »

As Originally posted by Smitty.

Okay, so recently there has been some controversy around some Members attempted Constructive Criticism, and the reception that Criticism received, so I have decided to create a helpful little guide. I have been roleplaying now, going on 8 years, and I would not still be here today if I hadn't gotten some help from many people along the years. Feel Free to add to this.

#1 First of all, whenever you are giving someone any kind of Feedback, remember that they are just like you, and that you are trying to help them improve the quality of their roleplays. Saying things like, “Your RP Sucked, Do Better Next Time!” is not helpful. Nor is swearing, or degrading remarks. A good rule of thumb is that if someone said the same thing to you, that you are about to say to someone else, would you take it as a helpful comment, or an annoying dig on your skills. Chances are they feel the same way.

#2 One of the most helpful ways of giving feedback is by being specific and thorough. One of the best ways to start giving someone feedback is by saying “I didn’t like this part of your Roleplay because….”(explain why), and then continue with something like, “I think you could improve your roleplay by doing…(whatever).” Here is my Feedback for Shev’s Royal Rumble RP.

“Shev, I really liked a lot of your roleplay for the Rumble. I thought it was really funny in some parts, but it did not contain enough digs on Bret Hart for my liking. So next time, could you please verbally abuse my character to the 10th degree. You know how my vanity loves it.”

#3. Of course, Feedback isn’t helpful at all, if the person you are giving feedback to, doesn’t want it, or doesn’t know how to receive it. When someone gives you some feedback, take it constructively, think about what that person saw in your roleplay, and realize that they cared enough to give you their opinion after they took the time to read what you wrote. Ashlee is an amazing E-fed Boss because she takes the time to read everyone’s roleplays, and if you ask her for thoughts, she will always be honest with you. You would be surprised at how hard that is to find. So basically, be respectful with the people who are trying to help you, because after all, they are trying to help you.

#4. This is a game, and it is for fun. I realize that it consumes copious amounts of time, energy, effort, and can really drain a person. This e-fed has people from at least three different countries in it, with ages ranging from 10-years old to 22 years old, to even older. So everyone does not come from the same backgrounds or situations as you, and as such, Respect is a key issue. Not just in feedback, but in every matter. Something to remember.

#5. There are real people behind the handles of the posters on these boards, and when you are posting on an OOC (OUT OF CHARACTER) Board, it is very important to remember that. For example, Karen Angle is handled by a male who lives in the US, so on the OOC Boards, there really is no need to refer to him as Karen Angle (his name is Jon, you can find this on the Roster). Another example is with Courtez’s character Jillian. On the OOC Boards, you do not need to call out Jillian’s singing ability, because on the OOC Boards, you are not talking to Jillian, you are talking to Courtez.

#6. This is for Fun. I realize I said this in Number four, but its so important that it needs to be repeated. Also, remember that no one is paid to do this (especially with regards to the Staff, who do a very thankless job), so patience is also a virtue. Lastly, in the words of Ashlee, “Stop all the douchebaggery.”
Writers aren't exactly people. They're a whole bunch of people. Trying to be one person.
The only living, breathing, Queen of Efeds in captivity
"You can't blame a writer for what the characters say." - Truman Capote
Smitty

Re: Feedback Guide

Post by Smitty »

I remember this.

Good times.