Battle Scars

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Ben M

Battle Scars

Post by Ben M »

OOC: Good luck Brandon!

Friday, August 26th: Dallas, Texas

It was Friday night, two days before Gateway to Glory, and the EBWF Women’s Champion Britt Baker had just checked into her room at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Dallas. On Sunday, Britt would defend the Women’s Championship for the first time since winning the title five months ago at Fallout. Five months... had it really been that long? Britt sighed to herself in frustration as she lay on the bed in her room.

Upon becoming the Women’s Champion, Britt had promised that she would be a fighting champion; the champion the EBWF women’s division deserved. And yet, here she was five months later, arguably no more prominent than she had been upon winning the title. Britt certainly didn’t feel like she had done anything to raise her profile, or the profile of the division, since becoming champion. And sure, part of that had been down to... circumstance, bad luck, bad booking, whatever you want to call it. Britt had started a feud with the artist formerly known as Raquel Diaz, Shaul Guerrero, but that ended in a matter of weeks when Shaul went AWOL. Shaul had been eliminated in the first round of the Queen of the Ring tournament, and hadn’t been seen since; Britt wasn’t sure if she’d been let go, or was just taking a leave of absence. During that brief feud, Britt had turned on her friend and tag team partner Leva Bates, after Britt and Leva had lost a tag match to Shaul Guerrero and Thunder Rosa. The turn had been intended as a way to write Leva out, due to Leva’s contract not being renewed. Britt had hoped she might get a match against Leva before she left EBWF, but the powers that be decided that wasn’t necessary. Then, of course, Allysin Kay had won the Queen of the Ring tournament, which should have meant Britt and Allysin had two months to build towards their match at Gateway to Glory... but instead, they’d had three weeks, due to Allysin being involved in feuds with Becky Lynch and Liv Morgan. When chasing the Women’s Championship, Britt had spent a lot of time working with the former champion, Alexa Bliss, and Britt felt like both her and Alexa had benefitted from that. But now it seemed like every other woman on the roster was getting more focus than the champion. Since dropping the title, Alexa had gone on to feud with two of EBWF’s Japanese recruits, Mina Shirakawa and Utami Hayashishita. Another Japanese women’s wrestler, Tam Nakano, had been making waves since returning to EBWF, including a big win over Britt’s opponent at the pay-per-view, Allysin Kay. Tam was set to open Gateway to Glory in a match against Rey Mysterio’s daughter, Aalyah Gutierrez; Aalyah was another woman who was receiving high praise, after looking very impressive in her pro wrestling debut against Rhea Ripley. So with the women’s division thriving, Britt couldn’t help but wonder... could she really blame external factors on her momentum stalling since winning the Women’s Championship? Or was the problem Britt Baker herself?

As she pondered this, Britt’s phone began to buzz. She looked at it and smiled as she answered the incoming call.

Britt Baker: Hey baby...

The call Britt was receiving was from her long-term boyfriend, fellow EBWF superstar Adam Cole. Adam and Britt had been together since 2017, and despite both being pro wrestlers, they had actually met on Bumble. Though Britt was happy to be working alongside Adam in EBWF, she was determined to keep their relationship low key; she didn’t want to be involved in any storylines linked to their relationship, and had requested that their fellow EBWF superstars made no on-screen references to it. Even backstage, Britt and Adam tried not to act as if they were a couple; to put it simply, they didn’t want the fact that they were a couple to have any impact on their professional careers, or their relationships with other EBWF superstars.

Adam Cole: How are you doing? I miss you.

Although they lived together, Britt and Adam had travelled separately to Dallas. Britt had several interviews booked for the Saturday, to promote Gateway to Glory. Adam hadn’t been booked for a match at the pay-per-view, and so he didn’t need to be in Dallas until Sunday. Britt knew Adam was frustrated about not getting booked, and because of that she was hesitant to tell him what was on her mind.

Britt Baker: I’m okay, just lost in my thoughts... you know how it is.

Adam Cole: Let me guess... trying to ignore that nagging voice of doubt in the back of your mind?

Britt Baker: Bingo.

They both laughed; Britt because she couldn’t believe Adam had figured out exactly what was bothering her, Adam because of how quickly he had figured it out.

Adam Cole: Listen Britt, you don’t have to hide your problems because you know I’m frustrated about how things are going for me. We’re a partnership, and I’d rather you tell me what’s bothering you. Especially because you know I can always tell.

Britt sighed, then explained her inner monologue to Adam – her worries about how the rest of the women’s division seemed to be thriving while she felt she had stalled, and she was wondering whether that was a problem of her own making. Adam listened, without interrupting, and only spoke up when Britt had finished.

Adam Cole: Britt, honey, I love you... but I’ve got to say, I think this is all in your head. You can only control what you’re doing – you can’t control the rest. You’re right, the women’s division in EBWF is pretty strong right now, but I promise you it’s stronger for having you in it. Whatever happens at Gateway to Glory, there’s a lot of possibilities for what comes next. If you’re still the Women’s Champion, Tam Nakano might end up being your next challenger... or maybe you’ll finally get your dream match with Trish Stratus. And I can guarantee every other woman on the roster wants a shot too – Alexa, Liv, Mina, Utami... every single one of them will be desperate to step into the ring with you.

Britt Baker: And what if I lose?

Adam Cole: Then you and Allysin Kay can have a rematch, continue the good work you’ve done building things up these past few weeks. Or if Allysin’s got other plans, all the other women I mentioned are still a possibility. They’ll want to work with you whether you’re the champion or not. I know things haven’t gone the way you hoped since becoming the Women’s Champion, but even with all these new faces in the women’s division I’d still back you to hold your own against every single one of them.

Britt couldn’t help but smile. She already felt a little better.

Britt Baker: You’re the best. I love you. I guess I just wish I’d been able to work more with Allysin in the run up to this match. I don’t want people to be disappointed by our feud, or the match itself.

Adam Cole: I love you too. And for what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone is going to be disappointed... well, maybe Allysin will be when you beat her. Seriously though, I think instead of worrying about what you haven’t done, you should be pleased with what you have done. Your match with Candice was great, and so was the tag match. The crowd were fully behind you and Trish, and the crowd in Dallas will be 100 percent behind you on Sunday.

Britt Baker: Is that because they love me, though? Or is it because they hate Allysin Kay?

Adam Cole: Both! Every good hero needs a villain in their story. A few weeks ago, you were seen as the villain, but now they’re on your side, and that’s as much down to you as it is Allysin Kay. You need to let that doubt you’ve got keep the fire burning... don’t let it hold you back.

Britt Baker: You’re right. But you need to practise what you preach... I want to see more of the Lone Wolf, and I know for sure that “Story Time with Adam Cole” has some exciting chapters ahead.

Adam Cole: You’re right. But Gateway to Glory isn’t about my story. It’s about Doctor Britt Baker... DMD.

Britt couldn’t help but laugh at Adam using her catchphrase.

Britt Baker: Jeez, what a mark.

Adam Cole: Only for you.

Britt Baker: Oh yeah, sure. Anyway, listen, I think I’m going to try and get some rest. I’ve got a busy day ahead tomorrow. But I’ll talk to you later, okay? Love ya.

Adam Cole: Love ya right back. Good night, Britt.

Britt wished Adam good night, then ended the call. As she got ready for bed, she thought about everything Adam had said, and she decided he was right. It made a big difference having a boyfriend who believed in her, but that wouldn’t count for anything unless she believed in herself. As she climbed into bed, Britt reminded herself that she had worked damn hard to get to where she was, and becoming Women’s Champion was a reward she had earned. She wasn’t ready to give that reward up just yet, and she would make sure everyone knew it.

--------------------------------------------------

Sunday, August 28th: Dallas, Texas

Saturday had been a non-stop day of press for Britt, and so Sunday came around in the blink of an eye. Britt arrived at the American Airlines Center early, as she had a promo to record for her match. After talking through her plan with a member of the production crew, the camera started rolling. Britt’s promo started with a video package, recapping the run up to her match with Alexa Bliss at Fallout. The package showed Britt losing to Allysin Kay on the Warfare before Fallout, when Alexa Bliss and Liv Morgan had cost Britt the match. The package then showed Britt winning the Women’s Championship at Fallout, before moving on to Allysin’s victories in the Queen of the Ring tournament. The package then showed the back and forth between Baker and Kay in the run-up to Gateway to Glory; Britt confronting Allysin, and Allysin accusing Britt of not being a fighting champion. Allysin selecting Candice LeRae to be Britt’s opponent the following week, Britt beating the woman that trained her, and Allysin and Candice attacking Britt after the match. Finally, the package showed Britt Baker and Trish Stratus beating Allysin Kay and Candice LeRae in a tag match on the final Warfare before Gateway to Glory, and Allysin attacking Britt again afterwards, this time busting her open. As the video ended, the camera zoomed out to show Britt watching it on a monitor. Britt turned to face the camera, revealing a scar on her forehead from Allysin’s attack. The scar had been taped over, but was still visible. Britt pointed at the scar, then began to speak.

Britt Baker: Not a bad battle scar for a woman that “isn’t a fighting champion”, huh? If you’ve followed by career, you’ll know that Monday night wasn’t the first time I’ve bled in a wrestling ring, and I’m sure it won’t be the last either. A lot of girls get squeamish about blood, but not me. Because I will literally give blood, sweat and tears to be the best, and I will keep fighting until there’s nothing left to give. That’s how I became the EBWF Women’s Champion, through fighting and working my ass off. So I’ll be honest, Allysin... when you accused me of not being a fighting champion, you struck a nerve. Like I said at the time, I have been showing up every week, wanting to prove myself, wanting to keep my promise of being the champion that EBWF deserves. The problem has been that the rest of the women in EBWF, yourself included, didn’t seem to want to step up to the challenge. Tam Nakano, Alexa Bliss, Liv Morgan, Rhea Ripley, Natalya, Utami, Mina, Aalyah... you’ve all been fighting amongst yourselves, and it feels like not one of you wanted to take on the Women’s Champion. What happened? Did you all just decide that since Allysin Kay was number one contender, you’d just wait patiently until after Gateway to Glory and then see which one of us was the champion? Because while I’m all for showing respect, the only way you earn success in this business is by fighting. And to be honest, it kinda pisses me off that none of you have dared to challenge me.

Britt shook her head, looking both frustrated and a little disappointed. She then held up the Women’s Championship and continued speaking.

Britt Baker: Tonight isn’t about the rest of the women’s division though, it’s about me and Allysin Kay and this title. For months, I fought hard, chasing this championship, and when I beat Alexa Bliss to become the champ at Fallout, it was a moment of... well, I can’t really get away with calling it bliss, can I? It was a wonderful feeling. When the Queen of the Ring tournament started, I watched closely, wondering who would be crowned Queen and earn a shot at my title. Allysin Kay was a deserved winner, even if her conduct throughout the tournament was questionable. And I got excited about facing her... I thought to myself, “now this is a woman who wants this title as badly as I did”. Together, we’re going to tear the house down – not literally, Rhea! Anyway, I was practically licking my lips at the thought of confronting Allysin, but instead she went to war with Liv Morgan and Becky Lynch. I couldn’t believe it! She was fighting the same women she’d already overcome, instead of switching her focus to me and this title. I finally got tired of waiting, and I called Allysin Kay out. I accused her of trying to avoid a fight she couldn’t win – an accusation she didn’t deny, by the way! Instead, she deflected it. And yet, in the last couple of weeks, the only fights Allysin has won against me have been after the bell, in a series of sneak attacks. First, she beat me down in a two on one assault with the help of my former mentor, Candice LeRae. Then, when Trish Stratus and I kicked ass last week as we teamed up for the first time, Allysin took my Women’s Championship and hit me over the head with it, giving me this scar. I mean sure, you managed to choke me out after that Ally... but it was hardly a fair fight, was it? Every action you’ve taken since Total Supremacy seems to support my theory... you’re afraid of me, Allysin, aren’t you?

Britt started laughing.

Britt Baker: You’re afraid you’re not good enough to beat me, Allysin, and that fear is eating you alive. It feeds your anger, and it’s the source of your pain. It’s been affecting your performances too... when you were crowned Queen of the Ring, you were undefeated in EBWF, but since then you’ve lost to Liv Morgan, Becky Lynch and Tam Nakano. That’s not even counting the tag match – I pinned Candice, not you, so I’ll let that slide. But it all adds up to one big problem... you’re on a losing streak going into the biggest match of your career, and the only way you’ve been able to deal with that is by getting more and more violent. I’m not even sure if you’re going to try and win tonight, Allysin; it seems like you’ll be more focused on trying to hurt me. If the past couple of weeks are anything to go off, if you do try and win, you’ll try and cheat to do it. And do you know what I say? Go right ahead. Try every trick in the book, no matter how violent or underhanded, because I don’t care. I’ve seen it all before, and hell I’ve tried quite a few tricks myself over the years. So I will be ready, and maybe I’ll give you a battle scar of your own. But whatever happens, I’ll still be standing, and I’ll still be fighting. This title means everything to me, and I will fight tooth and nail to keep it.

Britt glared into the camera, snarling her teeth as she did so.