Where's the fire?

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Ben M

Where's the fire?

Post by Ben M »

The scene opened backstage at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia, where EBWF Warfare was taking place. Adam Cole was stood outside his locker room, dressed in his ring gear, the Breakout Championship over his shoulder. As the camera started rolling, Cole began to speak.

Adam Cole: Tonight, for the first time in almost two months, I defend this championship – the EBWF Breakout Championship. It will be my 14th Breakout Title defence, and although officially this match is being advertised as a “Breakout Championship Open Challenge”, those of you who tuned into Warfare last week will know that’s not entirely true. Last week in Baltimore, I stood in the middle of the ring and acknowledged that as disappointed as I was that I couldn’t beat Damian Priest at Last Survivor and become the EBWF World Champion, I was determined to get back up and keep on fighting. I set out my ambition to reclaim the Gateway Championship before going after the World Title again, and almost as soon as I’d mentioned the Gateway Championship, out came Aiden English, a former EBWF Gateway Champion. As Aiden himself acknowledged, normally when something like that happens in a wrestling ring, the other guy tells you he deserves a title shot more than you, but apparently that’s not Aiden English’s style. Instead, Aiden just wanted to tell everyone that he was back in EBWF full-time after two years of being a full-time dad, and that he was determined to prove himself by going toe to toe with “the best wrestlers EBWF has to offer”. Wrestlers like Adam Cole. Aiden English’s words, not mine.

Cole smirked, then continued speaking.

Adam Cole: Aiden, buddy, you've certainly got a way with words, I'll give you that. You came out to the ring, after a long hiatus, and you laid it all out on the line. You talked about how much you admire and respect me, and you even called me one of the best Breakout and Gateway Champions in the history of EBWF. Of course, you talked about your history too, and how you’re also one of the best Breakout and Gateway Champions in EBWF history. Like me, you were a double champion... then you went on to win the King of the Ring tournament, and won the World Title without even needing to cash in your Gateway Championship. From 2018 to 2020, you were on the up and up; you weren’t just one of the top guys in EBWF, you were arguably one of the best wrestlers in the world back then. But let's not dwell on the past, Aiden. Let's talk about the here and now.

Cole began to pace back and forth.

Adam Cole: Aiden, you say you're here to prove you're still at the top of your game, that you're ready to mix it up with the best EBWF has to offer. Well, Aiden, I respect your ambition, but I have to ask: where's the fire? Where's the drive? You stand there and talk about admiration, but admiration won't get you championships. You didn’t get to the top of the EBWF mountain by “admiring” your opponents... you got there by tearing down everyone that stood in your path, by doing whatever it takes to win. Because that’s what you need to do in order to be the very best in this business.

Cole stopped pacing, and looked directly towards the camera, with fire in his eyes. Cole’s expression then softened.

Adam Cole: Now I don’t have any children of my own, but I would like to one day. And Aiden, it genuinely warmed my heart to hear you talk about getting to watch your daughter grow up. That must have been very rewarding for you, and I say that with all sincerity. However, with all due respect Aiden, I can’t help but wonder if being a stay-at-home dad has made you lose that killer instinct you once had. Because while you’ve been sitting at home watching, I've been in this ring, night in and night out, defending this Breakout Championship. I've been putting my body on the line, proving time and time again why I'm considered one of the best in EBWF. So if you really want to stand toe to toe with me, you better stop admiring me and start thinking about how you’re going to beat me. Otherwise, you’ll be admiring me with your back on the mat, while I’m standing over you, the Breakout Championship held high. I may have stumbled in my pursuit of the World Title, but mark my words, I'm not done yet. You want to prove that you’ve still got what it takes, Aiden? Well I want to prove that Adam Cole is synonymous with greatness in this company.

Cole smiled confidently, a steely look of determination on his face.

Adam Cole: So you want to step up and test yourself against the best, do you Aiden? You want to prove that you still belong in the conversation? Well, Aiden, consider this your wake-up call. Consider this your invitation to step into the ring with the Panama City Playboy himself. But let me warn you, Aiden, when you step into this ring with me, there are no accolades, no history, no amount of admiration that will save you from the inevitable. Because when it's all said and done, when the dust settles and the bell rings, you'll realise that despite everything you’ve accomplished in the past... in the present, I’m the standard bearer here in EBWF, and you’re not on my level.

Cole mouthed the word “Boom” then headed towards the ring.